Monday, March 12, 2012

I am back...

Yes, I've been a negligent blogger...
Yes, I have a few excuses...
Yes, quite a few of those reasons are mixology/alcohol related!

Well lets start off with the progress of my bitters. It's been over a week since I started infusing some bitters in individual jars. And because I chose do use everclear for this endeavor, I feel the process time is much faster. I first took the opportunity to taste my bitter base of licorice root, gentian, and wormwood. A nice deep green. Experimenting with ways to filter these. I decided to try a two-step process. A super-fine mesh filter then I took Jamie Boudreau's Pūr filter idea. The first step removed all the large particles in the mixture. And then filtering through the filter takes some of the edge off of the alcohol, allowing you to taste the bitters, as well as clarifying the tincture.

I'm going to wait a few more days for some of the other items to infuse more.

No comments:

Post a Comment