Friday, March 2, 2012

When Life Gives You Seville Oranges... Make Bitters!

So I had the day off today, so I went to the store and picked up some NGS (Neutral Grain Spirit). Because I'm making some bitters!

As I had mentioned the other week, I picked up some spices and herbs while up in Chicago. I pulled some mason jars out of the basement, and picked out a few ingredients I want to work with first. So I chose cardamom, star anise, ceylon cinnamon, rhubarb root, Seville oranges (what Campari is made of!), cloves, and ginger.

A few years back, Master Mixologist, Jamie Boudreau suggested to build each ingredient in your bitters in separate containers for control purposes(http://spiritsandcocktails.wordpress.com/2008/04/22/how-to-make-bitters/). So I did that with all my ingredients. But I chose to make a bitter base jar with wormwood, licorice root and gentian root. This will be the basis of my bitter formulas for the first round of experimentation.

They say as a general rule, you should let certain items sit depending on their strength, obviously take into consideration the proof of the liquor you're using. The higher the proof, the faster the extraction process.

3-4 days: Intense flavors such as vanilla beans, lemons, oranges, grapefruit, limes, mint, garlic, tarragon, basil, oregano, dill, thyme and peppers

1 week: Moderate flavors such as cantaloupes, strawberries, peaches, mangoes, pitted cherries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries.

2 weeks: Mild flavors such as pineapple, ginger and lemon grass

If you're looking for some good online resources with ideas for bitters, check out Jamie's Blog I mentioned earlier, and also the bartenders at Anvil in Houston (http://drinkdogma.com/how-to-make-your-own-bitters-for-cocktails/).

Happy Infusing!

No comments:

Post a Comment