Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My Brother the Brewer

My bro works in Scotland for a little outfit called BrewDog. Well as I might have mentioned, he came home for a week and brought lots of goodies. Specifically some stuff I can't find stateside.

One of the items he brought me was a bottle of Żubrówka Vodka, a bison grass infused vodka from Poland. If you are at all familiar with the history of vodka. It originated in Poland/Russia, from potatoes. Well before distilling was truly perfected, you'd have some pretty strong, crude vodka, with lots of congeners and fusel oils. So in order to mask these negative aspects people added pepper, lime leaves, and even bison grass. This spirit is meant to be a nostalgic homage to the original.

At 80 proof this rye based vodka has a nice light sweetness to it, I notice subtle hints of Vanilla, and a light citrus. I don't usually enjoy working with vodka as much but I often make an exception for this one. In the realm of all the flavoured vodkas this one stands alone at the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment