Thursday, January 12, 2012

Caviar in a drink... Who would have thought.

So, after watching an episode of Top Chef, I was inspired to dabble some more with molecular gastronomy. What my goal was to create cute little caviar like balls to put in a cocktail or for garnish.
I already knew that gelatin powder would be my friend here again, just like the foam I made earlier this week. Seeing as I didn't have any liquid nitrogen in the kitchen I had to improvise. I tried dropping droplets of blackberry infused gelatin into an ice bath with no success, the gelatin just dissipated in the water. They looked like amoebas...
After some more trial and error I concluded that my gelatin was good, my cold water wasn't what I needed. What I needed was oil. Since oil and water don't blend it's the perfect medium to drop gelatin (water-based) into. The only problem would be cleaning the oil off the caviar. Well come to find out it wasn't a bad idea, because it kept each sphere from sticking together.
Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment