Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Works in progress.

I had the day off work today, so I decided to pull the liquor out and start to build beverages. I came up with some nice concepts, but still need some perfecting. There's always do's and dont's that bartenders have. Like mixing certain base spirits. Like tequila and bourbon for example. I have yet to enjoy a drink with those two spirits involved.

What I wanted to talk about is tasting. Beverage quality is such a big deal, especially consistency between beverages. I have gone to many high end bars, repeatedly and ordered the same drink only to have something slightly different each time. There are many contributing factors, such as; bartenders recipe. But the main one I want to focus on is tasting. When I see a fellow bartender taste my beverage, I get excited. It lets me know that they care what is being put over the counter. Some guests have found it offensive until I explained it to them. Mind you I'm not doing anything unsanitary, but rather taking a sample from the almost finished product ( usually in the cocktail shaker). It's like QA for bartenders. Liquor doesn't really spoil, but some fresh mixers, and some liqueurs tastes can change if left unused too long.

Bottom line, don't be afraid to taste. Just don't get too crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment